2018 Water Conference
UNM Water Conference, May 17, 2018
University of New Mexico Student Union Building (SUB)
"New Mexico Water: What Our Next Leaders Need to Know"
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Following the 2018 gubernatorial election, New Mexico will have new leaders of its resource management agencies. Other important water developments in the state include: 1) New administration at the City of Albuquerque; 2) Major shifts in federal policies & implementation; 3) Evolution of legal issues, especially interstate lawsuits; and 4) Financial challenges for our agencies and programs. This conference will feature presentations on water & environmental challenges facing the state by former senior state and federal managers. Each speaker has a long history of high level experience working on NM water issues. Speakers include:
Presentations by federal water managers:
- · Ron Curry – Former Administrator, EPA Region VI (former NMED Secretary)
- · Estevan Lopez – Former Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner (former ISC Director)
- · John D’Antonio – Currently with US Army Corps of Engineers (former NM State Engineer)
- · Hilary Tompkins – Former Solicitor for the Dept. of Interior (former Chief Counsel to Gov. Richardson)
Presentations by state water managers:
- · Scott Verhines – Former NM State Engineer
- · Ryan Flynn – Former Secretary of NM Environment Department
- · Amy Haas – Former Acting Director & former General Counsel, NM Interstate Stream Commission
- · Tanya Trujillo –Former General Counsel, NM Interstate Stream Commission & Past Director of Colorado River Board of California
Concluding remarks: Mike Connor, Former Deputy Secretary, Department of Interior
Registration (includes lunch and parking):
Early registration - extended to Sunday, April 29: General - $30, Full time students - $10
Late registration (after April 29): General - $50, Full time students - $20
To Register with Credit Card:
Register online by clicking HERE. (scroll to the bottom of the page)
To Register with Check or Purchase Order:
Parking is provided with conference registration fees. Click below for a map to the free parking location. Students will be on campus to direct you to the parking lot until 9 am.
This program has been approved by the NM MCLE Board for 5.5 General CLE credits.
This event is sponsored by the following organizations at the University of New Mexico: the Office of the Vice President for Research, the Center for Water and the Environment, the Water Resources Program, and the Utton Transboundary Resources Center at the School of Law.